PORTRAIT OF A PRESSMAN GRADUATE
A Pressman Academy graduate should demonstrate:
Commitment to Jewish Life and a Strong Jewish Identity
- Read, write, and speak Hebrew.
- Read, explain, interpret, and make personal meaning from traditional Jewish Texts (Tanakh (Bible), Siddur, Mishnah, and Talmud).
- Participate in daily, Shabbat, and holiday prayers with knowledge, understanding, and kavanah (spiritual intention). Incorporate these prayers into daily living.
- Develop a nuanced understanding of and connection to Israel, its people, and its culture.
- Practice and demonstrate knowledge of Shabbat, Jewish holidays, and customs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Jewish history and Jewish literature and its impact on Jewish life today.
- Participate in the Temple Beth Am community and the Jewish and non-Jewish community at large.
- Develop an understanding of and ongoing personal relationship with God.
- Take an active role and contribute to one’s own Jewish education.
Positive Social Awareness and Responsible American and Global Citizenship
- Show global awareness, respect, and knowledge of different peoples and cultures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the United States Government and democratic system.
- Develop a commitment to tikkun olam (social responsibility) through acts of tzedakah (creating a just world).
- Participate appropriately in cooperative and collaborative learning groups.
- Develop life-long learning skills and desire, and intellectual curiosity.
- Use conflict resolution, problem solving, and mediation skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge and care for the environment.
- Be a literate, respectful, and ethical user of emerging technology and social media.
- Demonstrate Jewish values in their daily life.
- Demonstrate an understanding of geography.
- Participate appropriately in conversations and group discussions.
- Learn to listen and speak from the heart. Learn to speak leanly.
- Read for comprehension and information from various literary sources and styles.
- Write for purpose (including analysis, research, description, persuasion, explanation, imagination, and narration).
- Write using proper grammar, correct spelling, and punctuation.
- Use technology for communication and research.
- Use oral, written, artistic, and musical forms for self-expression.
- Develop effective and appropriate public speaking.
Critical and Creative Thinking Skills
- Use creative and effective problem solving skills.
- Use research skills to locate and synthesize available sources of information.
- Develop personal time-management and organizational skills.
- Develop life-long study skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge and competence of basic computational skills.
- Recognize and apply mathematical concepts in everyday life.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the scientific method.
- Develop analytical skills.
- Develop an ability to think independently.
- Develop an ability to work collaboratively.
- Assess the validity and source of information.
- Experience and use a variety of creative arts.
Elements of a Healthy Lifestyle
- Develop a positive self-image and emotional well-being.
- Develop physical fitness awareness and skills.
- Identify the elements of proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle.
- Show knowledge of human physical, emotional, and spiritual development.
- Participate appropriately and demonstrate sportsmanship in a sport or game.
- Develop skills to identify and cope with stress.
- Develop self-awareness and self-understanding.